Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Shopping in Taiwan: The Wholesale Market of Wufenpu

I didn’t bring a lot of clothes with me coming back to Taiwan. First, I don’t want to carry a big and heavy luggage; second, Taiwan is a great place for shopping and I can always get beautiful and inexpensive clothes here. During the first two months I went to cheap places to shop the clothes for fieldwork. I need something easy to wear and easy to wash. In Taipei, the wholesale market of Wufenpu is a great choice.

Wufenpu was originally the market for retailers to purchase their goods. However, it has been getting more and more famous and popular among common people during the past decade. Now when I go to Wufenpu I can see a lot of individual consumers like me. I’m like located in the mountains of clothes and people and don’t know where to start (so sometimes got kind of angry). One friend of mine- Chengyi- who was working as a shop attendant in the department store told me as an individual consumer never try to bargain in Wufenpu, because those shop owners need to offer retailers with a better price. I got a lot of clothes in Wufenpu, and they are called “fieldwork uniform” by me.



No comments: